Tuesday April 9th April is Child Abuse Prevention Month-Part TWO


April is Child Abuse Prevention Month #2


Child Abuse Statistics


By Terry Bailey




In our last segment we attempted to put forward a general definition of child abuse and child maltreatment. Now we will take a look at how much abuse and maltreatment happens in our modern day society. Previously we defined abuse as actions taken toward the child and maltreatment is things not done for the child’s welfare.


First, here is a quick glance at the status quo of Kansas children regarding abuse. The population of the state of Kansas is 2,911,642. Of that number, children under 18 account for 720,234 people or about one-fourth of the population.


The overall poverty rate for the state of Kansas is 13.0%. The poverty level of children is Kansas hovers at 20%. Approximately one out of five children in Kansas live in poverty. 15.9% of households in Kansas were food insecure from 2012 to 2014.


Now for other important numbers. In 2015 Kansas had 38,509 referrals for abuse and neglect. Of these referrals, 23,666 were referred for investigation.


The number of child abuse victims reported in 2015 has increased 15.2% in comparison to the number of victims in 2011.


In 2015, Kansas recorded 8 child deaths resulting from abuse or neglect.




Of the 3,333 children released from out-of-home care in 2014, 57% were reunited with their parents or primary caretakers.


In 2,015 approximately 20,282 grandparents in Kansas had the primary responsibility of care for their grandchildren.



According to 2009 Kansas data, the perpetrators by relationship to victims indicated 81% were the child’s parents, 6.3% were relatives other than the child’s parents, and 4.3% were unmarried partners of the child’s parents.





Based on data posted to the Department of Children and Families website, between July 1, 2014, and Feb. 28, 2015:


Physical abuse accounted for 16 percent of removals from the home.


Physical neglect was the primary reason in 15 percent.


Five percent of children were removed for sexual abuse.


Nine percent were removed for lack of supervision


Seven percent were taken for emotional abuse.


Parental drug abuse - classified as a non-abuse and neglect removal -- made up 11 percent of removals.


Use of methamphetamine, counted separately, made up 5 percent.


Statistics from the Department for Children and Families show that when it takes a child from a home, 59 percent of the time during the current fiscal year it has been because of abuse and neglect. Non-abuse and neglect reasons account for the remaining 41 percent.




Next time an attempt answer the elusive question – “What causes the abuse and neglect of children?”

Other News

Like us on Facebook! Job Hub